The Joy Formidable (@ Hi Tone (Memphis, TN))

    Last night, at the Hi Tone in Memphis, TN, a Welsh alternative rock band took the stage. Ritzy, Rhydian, and Mr. Thomas did what they always do... they brought the house down.
    Every time I see The Joy Formidable I am reminded there is something that makes them unique. That
being: They seem to really enjoy their music as well as each other. The on stage banter during song breaks and the interaction amongst one another during the show illustrates the tight nit family they are. It's truly enjoyable to watch. 
    They had a perfect setlist. Played all the crowd favorites even an "acoustic" version of "A Heavy Abacus." They ended the show with "The Whirring" and walked out under distorted reverb. 
    One thing I think they have mastered is filling the venue space with constant harmonious music. It almost feels like it is turning into noise but they tread the line wonderfully. I think that brings a unique energy to each of their shows and it's a great attribute for any rock band to have. 
    The Joy Formidable was my favorite show two years ago at Beale Street Music Fest. When I saw them pop up on JamBase.com for a Memphis stop, I told tons of friends to not miss it. I brought 3 with me tonight and they are now fans themselves. 

Come back anytime, guys. You're always welcome in Memphis! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up For Review: "Harry Styles" by Harry Styles

Up for (P)review: LightonX Teaser Trailer "Being A Hero"