Up For Review: Astrokarts

    I was lucky enough to have been contacted by the developer for Astrokarts for a review on their space racer on the Oculus platform. This is my opinion and I have not scaled it back in anyway.
    Astrokarts is a game that is one part F-Zero (Super NES) and one part Tie Fighter Scene from A New Hope (Star Wars). Astrokarts reminds me of F-Zero because it is ultra fast, has a great soundtrack, and has tons of ships to choose from the only difference is it is set up in a space racer where you must avoid all kinds of galactic objects in order to beat the other ships you're racing against. It's part Tie Fighter for obvious reasons you'll see when you play.
    Astrokarts features a wide variety of ships. There are several seating arrangements that may work better for each player. This gives the game a lot of depth for the player to enjoy many different ways of racing. Whether you stand, sit, or lay down there's a flying style for you. There are also 4 different controller settings for the XBox controller you must use for navigation. The user will have to curtail the settings to see what works best. Each ship comes equipped with blasters to gun down other opponents, a GPS to find the next check point you must fly through to proceed, and a booster to send your ship into hyper-speed.
   This game is not without its short comings. You start out every race in last place or pretty close. Every AI ship is faster than yours and your digging out quite of a hole to catch up (and if I'm being honest it was a hole I stayed in every race). Switching ships at the race setup takes forever. It takes so long that I gave up trying out all of the ships.
    This is a wildly entertaining game. I found myself searching around space for my next check point as well as my next opponent to catch up and blast. For $10 it's a no-brainer.

Great job to the developers of Astrokarts. I look forward to checking out the updates and seeing what the future holds for the potential series.

Final score: 70%

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/ThatsUp4Review

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up For Review: "Harry Styles" by Harry Styles

UP FOR REVIEW: Relaxer by alt-J

Up For (P)review: Memphis In May's World Championship BBQ Festival